Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Innocence!

Now some may say "What in the world does Jason Rowland know about innocence?".  Believe it or not I was born with a little and maybe I ran out at a very young age but I have learned so much from my kids.
Something happened last night and as I watched it take place I thought man if it were only that easy for adults!

Last night Lindsey, the kids, and I went to check on the progress of our new house. While we were out there a little boy about 6 or 7 that lives behind our new house came out. Within minutes my two boys had already started asking about what school he went to and who his teacher was. It didnt take anytime before they  became best friends and were asking us if they could stay at his house while we went to get something to eat.

I guess what I am amazed by is how quickly they figured out what they needed to figure out about each other and moved straight on to playing. As adults we tend to analyze everything. Are we too good for them? Are they to good for us? Are they on the same level as us? Do we share the same values? What do they do for a living? Now some of these may be good questions but its seem as adults we make the judgements before we even get to know who they are and what they are all about.

Kids are so innocent. There is no judging and there is no fakeness. Kids are exactly who they are. There is no pretending unless they are pretending to be Batman or Spiderman.

Just one of the many things I have learned from my kids. That and always check their pockets.


3 comments:

  1. No kidding! Excellent observation. I certainly wish it were easier to make adult friends too. Whatever happened to the days when we were friends with people based solely on the randomness of whoever lived next door to you, or on your block? Now-a-days we can go online or join clubs with people who agree with everything we value or people who share our niche hobby. We've convenienced ourselves into isolation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I have often said I'm not sure they would fit in with us. They have more money, a bigger home, no kids, etc. I realize we would have more in common with someone with kids and someone who has roughly the same financial means as we do but I should not judge so quick and just give it a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We need to see some more writing! Surely you have something to say

    ReplyDelete